Thursday, September 17, 2009

Robot Party for my 5 year old baby!! And a good blog link on transracial adoption.

Well, my first born baby boy is FIVE. I totally burst into tears on his birthday because I realized how big he was...how OLD he was. Five is way to old. Where has this half decade gone? ugh.

Anyhow, he has known for months that it had to be a robot party. HAD TO BE. So, I set to work finding robot stuff. I'm not a huge fan of character stuff (ie Thomas, Diego, Disney). I just really hate giving MORE money to those company than is absolutely necessary, you know? So, it was a homemade robot party. I made decorations out of canning jars full of my hubby's nut and bolt and washer collection, fancied up with some metallic pipecleaners. I served veggies and dip and party mix in tin muffin pans. I made robot tshirt (that I scored at Dollar Tree!) that I think turned out pretty cute. I also made I spy robots, which I forgot to take a picture of. Basically, a fleece robot filled with rice and all kinds of little trinkets. Then my mom and I sewed in a little vinyl window, and gave it with a little photo and directions of what to search for...I tried really hard to not give a baggie full of candy to our robot friends. So, they each got a fun tshirt and stuffed robot in the little goody bag.

I found a cake on the Cookie Magazine website. I'm not a huge fan of this mag, but they do have fun party ideas.


 

 
 
All in all, it was a super fun party...Hayden LOVED it. It was the first birthday that we let him invite who he wanted and he was really into it!

p.s. if you've never linked to Kristen over at Rage Against the Minivan...you should. She is hilarious, posting her theraputic posts on motherhood and transracial adoption. She always makes me laugh! She had a great great post today on interesting conversations in thier house. She has a 5 year old african american son, and two biological daugters, 2 and a half and an infant. They are in process of adopting another son who's currently waiting in Haiti for the adoption to be finalized! She blogged about how they are dealing with some conversations in home about the physical differences they have called "but Jafta doesn't match"...good stuff. 

13 comments:

missy said...

incredible party!!! love the cake, the birthday bot, the centerpieces, the t-shirts, the treat bags...obviously i love it all! birthday parties are so fun. i think i do it as much for my enjoyment as for the kids! i love kristen's blog too.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Love the party things- you did great at making it fun and not overly priced....I like that. May have to steal the ideas. Oh yeah....we here in the right home have lots of transracial remarks....I will have to check it out.

Kristen Howerton said...

Thanks for the link - I'm so flattered! :)

Julie D. said...

super cute, eryn! love it.

~*Spindelicious Handspun*~ said...

VEEERY cute idea! And I love yr pics

Trish said...

LOVE the robot theme!!

can I order a robot t-shirt????

Amy Jo said...

Wow, well done!!! Looks like a fun, fun party. :-)

Ann said...

love your party.. my son's turning 5 in april so this one goes to my favorites. one question did you use a template for the robot pictures on the goodie bags? those are awesome! thanks for the inspiration.

amy & lisa said...

Such a neat theme and everything looks so fun and colorful! Great party. :)

CathyBB said...

Hi there! I saw this on CP&S and I'm so glad you shared it. I have stuff stashed away for my son's 6th birthday this winter, but definitely needed more ideas. Thanks! =)

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found this blog post! We're having a robot party in December and I keep trying to come up with cool ideas. I wanted to make party bags and t-shirts too. Did you find a stamp for those or make it yourself? If you don't mind sharing. :) Thanks! ~Denise

LaKenda said...

Hopefully you get this comment...
I was wondering if you stenciled the shirts yourself? If so, where can I find that design? My son's party is in a few weeks and I would like to make t-shirts for the guests.
Thank You!

Snakeman said...

The Robot theme was definitely different. We had a birthday recently and got in a mobile reptile party and wow that was different. The kids were holding snakes and crocodiles and all the children had fun.
Themed parties are definiely the way to go if unsure of what to do.
All the best

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...